Thanksgiving is just around the corner ya’ll! Lauren again from Lauren Fox On Demand! This is the time of year when we need to be strategic & more aware to win this battle of the bulge! Late October to January 1st is the party season with friends & family galore! We need to enjoy our time together & not be overly restrictive & miserable, but we do need to strive for balance & moderation! I call this being in “maintenance mode”. The average American gains 9-13 pounds during the holiday season! Do NOT let this be you this year!
Let’s not abandon our healthy habits altogether because you have worked too hard. Think of these last three months of the year as the last quarter of the football game that you want to Win! So, here are a few tips to go into the new year ahead of the game.
- If you have left over Trick or Treat candy, get rid of it! Take it to the office, give it away to the mail person, donate it to your church, or simply throw it away. Just don’t let it sit around your house because let’s face it, it’s just too tempting.
- Go Booze Free Sunday through Thursday! I enjoy my glass or two of Chardonnay most evenings myself, but the 120-160 calories per glass add up! Alcohol also tricks your body into thinking it’s hungry. We can save over 600 calories right there! Especially if you know you are going to attend a gathering that weekend, then if you partake of a couple of calorie laden dips, it’s a trade off! You can’t afford the 600 calories of wine plus the 600 calories of munchies! (FYI: If you reduce your caloric intake by 500 calories a day, then in 7 days you cut 3,500 calories which means you lose one pound!)
- Stick to healthier eating habits during the week as well. Limit the carbs so you can have that little splurge on the weekend! & I’m saying ONE cheat meal, not a cheat day or weekend!
- Be mindful of snacking too! Allow that one time & only, use a smaller plate (like a salad plate) & absolutely no seconds! Eating slowly & enjoying your treat you strategized for is key.
- During your holiday meal, only treat yourself to foods you truly LOVE & look forward to all year. For example, my grandmother’s cornbread dressing that I now make is my Thanksgiving vice. I will forego the mashed potatoes & gravy for the dressing…strategy…I can’t have both! I also love my mother’s candied sweet potatoes, but I can only have a tablespoon or two max. I will just savor every bite!
- Schedule your workouts…a minimum of 3 a week, but 5 is better to beat the holiday bulge! Get “Lauren Fox On Demand” so you can work out anytime you want, in the convenience of your own home! I even have some 15, 30 & 45 minute express classes if you don’t have time for an hour work out. Check out laurenfoxondemand.com for the $29.00 Fit & Foxy, Best Shape of Your Life deal!
- Get plenty of sleep. Our stress levels go up during the holidays because we have so many “extras” to do and that is not good for our bellies! The cortisol goes straight there! Double ugh! We need to be aware, taking better care of our bodies at this time. Try to go to bed one hour earlier than your norm. This will also help your focus so you can accomplish all you have to do without being sleep deprived and scattered.
- Stay hydrated! I always say, “Drink your water!” Did you know a lot of the time that we feel hungry is actually because we’re dehydrated? Drink plenty of water all day, every day and especially before you eat so your body doesn’t confuse hunger for thirst. You’ll be surprised how much fuller you’ll feel if you drink a big glass of water before your holiday meal or any meal.
- There’s a lot of social pressure during this time of year. Your friends and family might not have the same healthy lifestyle as you do and they may not understand where you are coming from. My mother always teases me for not eating like I use to, like her, but I do not want to end up in that sugar coma after our Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners anymore. My strategy this year is to not mention my plan. I’m just going to put less on my smaller plate, savor my meal by eating slowly, and enjoying my visit with family and friends!
Follow these tips, work-out and you’ll beat the holiday bulge this year! Yay you!
Join me at www.laurenfoxondemand.com, and read my blog posts! There’s a lot more good information there, and it’s all free!
Get Fit, Foxy and Fabulous, at Home or Away,
on YOUR schedule, on Any Device!